Hi! I’m Sean Blanda. I build editorial products that serve communities. This site is a collection of my writing. Mostly on media, our public discourse, and other fun things.
Previously, I was the Editorial Director at InVision and Director and Editor-in-Chief of 99U, the “think-tank” of Adobe’s Behance dedicated to empowering the creative community. I’ve also served as editor-in-Chief of GrowthLab and I Will Teach You To Be Rich.
I was born and raised in South Jersey. I then moved to nearby Philadelphia to attend Temple University in 2004 where I resided until 2012, when I moved to New York City. Then in 2017, I moved back to Point Breeze, Philadelphia. I’ve had lots of help along the way.
I care way too much about Philadelphia sports (#trusttheprocess), drink way too much Coca-Cola, and play way too much Civilization VI. I’m trying to learn how to identify every nation’s flag and get really good at cooking Mexican food.
Independence Day is the best holiday and Will Smith movie, Hotel Yorba by The White Stripes is the best song ever made, the state of Colorado has the best flag. I’ve driven cross-country three times, and in 2016-17, I took a sabbatical and visited 10 countries in five months.
- Always Own Your Platform, a gentle reminder to own your own distribution.
- From 2017 to 2019 I ran The Discourse, a newsletter about the ways we talk to one another.
- From 2017 to 2018 I co-hosted The Malcontents, a short-lived podcast with my good friend Ton Critchlow on content and media.
- I’m one of the co-founders of Technical.ly, a network of local tech news sites based out of Philadelphia and organizers of Philly Tech Week. You can read more about that here.
- I’m the founder of BarCamp NewsInnovation (BCNI) a journalism-focused unconference that takes place yearly in Philadelphia. I am no longer involved in its planning and organization. The conference has since changed its name to “KleinCamp.”
- I wrote Hacking PR, a small ebook to help bootstrapped entrepreneurs pitch the media.
- Work stuff: seanblanda [at] getcrossbeam [dot] com
- Personal stuff: scblanda [at] gmail [dot] com
- Twitter: @SeanBlanda
- Instagram: @SeanBlanda
- Spotify: Sean Blanda
Need my headshot for some reason? Hopefully this helps:
About this site
This site was built in WordPress using the WordPress Naked Theme. The headers are in Adobe Garamond Pro and the body text is in Open Sans. The accent color is e8cb5d. The photo on the home page was taken by Paul Jun. The CSS is of questionable quality. The spacing is abysmal.